At the Telethon Institute, we are committed to ensuring that the benefits of our research are translated into real therapies and policies to improve the health and wellbeing of children.
Since our establishment in 1990, researchers at the Institute have published more than 2600 scientific papers and advocated on behalf of children and families.
In 2010, the Institute celebrated its 20th anniversary. These are some of our research highlights over the past two decades.
Some highlights include:
- Promoting folate to prevent spina bifida
Mandatory folate fortification a win for Australian families
- Hib meningitis vaccination
Media release: Childhood meningitis
falls by 70% (2006)
- Improving outcomes for Aboriginal babies and children
Media release: COAG investment
will help close the gap (2008)
- Researching IVF outcomes
Media release: Study finds
IVF twins have more health problems (2009)
- Leading the world in the understanding, treatment and prevention of asthma
Media release: Exposure to
sunlight could reduce asthma (2006)
- Developing programs to reduce youth suicide
Media release: Preventing suicide -
what can you do? (2007)
- Determining causes for cerebral palsy
- Improving the life chances for children with cystic fibrosis
- Increasing survival rates for children with leukaemia